Illuminating Literature: When Worlds Collide Textbook
Author: Sharon Watson
Retail Price: $39.49
Our Price: $35.19
Save: 4.30 (10.89%)
Availability: In Stock
Illuminating Literature: When Worlds Collide is a full-year (two semester), student-directed course that's perfect for homeschoolers in high school!
In this course students will read seven novels and one memoir (all sold-separately; listed below) while this textbook helps them learn about the craft of writing and familiarizes them with the joys of reading great literature. Written from a Christian perspective, students will learn to analyze content through a Christian worldview and to view literature as books written by flawed humans. This course's title, 'When Worlds Collide,' refers to the featured books, each of which was chosen because of its collisions--whether physical, political, racial, spiritual, or philosophical.
Each book unit begins with a 'Before you Read the Book' introduction with suggested reading and homework plan. This introduction is followed by lessons that cover the book text and relevant literary terms and elements (e.g. text, context, conflict, point of view, genre, setting) through discussion questions, activities, and quizzes.
This student textbook is one part of the full available curriculum options; a Teacher's Guide and Quiz & Answer Manual are both available separately. This student textbook also includes access to the free (and required) download 'Illuminating Literature: When Worlds Collide Novel Notebook,' along with links to online quizzes that are graded automatically with emailed reports-the separate quiz and answer manual is only for parents who want their students to take paper-and-pencil tests.
284 non-reproducible pages, softcover consumable textbook/workbook. 70 lessons. Grades 9-12.
This course requires the following literature (also sold-separately). This course specifically uses the following editions; it's helpful to have the approved versions since lessons refer to specific page numbers in these books.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain; Dover Publications; 048640885X
- The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells; Dover Publications: 0486295060
- The Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West; Harcourt, Inc; 015602909X or 0156336065
- Peter Pan by Sir James Barrie; Dover Publications; 0486407837
- Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals; Washington Square Press/Pocket Books; 0671866397
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury; Simon & Schuster; 9781451673319
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens; Dover Publications; 0486406512
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis; HarperCollins; 9780060652937
Similar Items you may enjoy!