Read with the Best: American Literature Volume 1 1500- 1860 Student Workbook - Slightly Imperfect
Author: Jill J. Dixon
Retail Price: $29.95
Our Price: $22.35
Save: 7.60 (25.38%)
Availability: In Stock
Critical, informed reading doesn't come naturally. Read with the Best: American Literature features excerpts from works of great American literature along with engaging activities that provide continual practice of critical thinking, reading, literary analysis, and writing skills, teaching students to truly think and thoughtfully engage with what they're reading.
Focusing on actual skills rather than abstract rules, grammar is taught in the context of writing as students follow in the footsteps of literary giants. Each week features a new author: Columbus, Bradford, Winthrop, Bradstreet, Rowlandson, Mather, Edwards, Franklin, Adams, Paine, Jefferson, Wheatly, Irving, Emerson, Longfellow, Hawthorne, Poe, Dickenson, and other classic American authors each have a week's lessons that include five to six different areas:
- 'Background Checks' about the author
- 'Words to Know' that need to be defined.
- 'Literary Analysis' that covers literary terms that are tested every 6 weeks
- 'Critical Reading' sections includes questions about each passage
- 'Make it Real' applies learned skills to what students already know
- 'Culminating Activities' that are given at the end of the week to help students master lessons.
- 'Writing Assignments' that are given every two weeks and related to literary passages and authors; a research paper is given for the last half of the year. Word lists, tips for students with different learning styles, and other helps are included. 240 pages, softcover. Grades 8-12. This course is designed to take one year.Covers 1500-1860. Slightly Imperfect.
Similar Items you may enjoy!