Excellence in Literature: American Literature (3rd Edition)
Author: Janice Campbell
Retail Price: $29.00
Our Price: $29.00
Save: 0.00 (0.00%)
Availability: In Stock
Have you ever read a work of great literature and wondered how and why the author created the work they did? This book will introduce you to 'literary reading', the way to learn about the contexts of stories, including information about the author, textual elements, and other aspects of the assigned works of great literature. This text provides opportunities for writing practice while students simultaneously grow familiar with some of the greatest writers of all time.
This book establishes the scope & sequence, assigns the readings, suggests an assignment schedule, provides organization tips, and a rubric for objectively evaluating completed assignments, and provides resources for research; students must obtain copies of the books to read. Learn to read with discernment, become a self-motivated learner, strengthen writing skills, and prepare for college classes! Each of the nine included units are designed to be completed in four intense weeks. Additional reading suggestions in each module and additional writing assignments are include for an honors track course.
Grades 8-12. 146 non-reproducible pages, spiralbound softcover; non-consumable worktext as students write their answers outside of the book. 3rd Edition.
Some students might find it helpful to use IEW's Windows to the World & A Syllabus for Introduction to Literary Analysis as well as The Elegant Essay as a prerequisite to this course. Prior experience with IEW's Structure and Style is helpful but not required.
The following units center around the respective texts; additional readings not listed below are included for the honors track:
- Unit 1:Autobiography by Benjamin Franklin
- Unit 2: Rip Van Winkle & The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving and Selected Works by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Unit 3:The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
- Unit 4:The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Unit 5: Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- Unit 6:The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Unit 7:House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
- Unit 8:The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Unit 9:The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Similar Items you may enjoy!