More Reading Comprehension Level 3, Grade 11 (Homeschool Edition)
Author: Jane Ervin
Retail Price: $13.70
Our Price: $9.24
Save: 4.46 (32.55%)
Availability: In Stock
Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter features nonfiction reading passages covering social studies, science, literature, mathematics, philosophy, logic, language, the arts, and combined subjects. These passages are followed by comprehension questions including story recall, inferential questions, and writing prompts. Books are arranged thematically, with selections related to one another, to show different aspects of a topic and give students a broader knowledge of a subject. Topics and questions prepare students for standardized tests and provide valuable practice in nonfiction reading comprehension.
The consistent format allows students in the same class to use different levels in the series - it's helpful for classrooms or homeschools with children of varying reading abilities. Students gain confidence and increase their reading, language, and comprehension skills as they progress through the series.
The full series is comprised of 14 student books and spans grades 2-11. The Early Reading Comprehension workbooks (Books A-D) are for young readers, specifically grades 2-4. Reading Comprehension (Books 1-6) targets grades 3-8, and MORE Reading Comprehension (Levels 1-4) is designed for junior high and older students.
In each lesson, the presentation of the passage consistently follows the same 7-step format:
- About the Passage - introduces the selection to the reader and activates prior knowledge
- Reason for Reading - explains the reading skill emphasized
- The Selection - thematically organized selections across subject matter.
- Thinking it Over - lists two to three broad questions to be answered in writing
- Studying the Passage - asks questions about the main idea, facts, and sequence, and asks students to draw conclusions, make assumptions, and interpret.
- Using the Words - encourages students to use new vocabulary words in a paragraph
- Writing about It - has students answer questions about the contents of the selection and offer their interpretation or opinion
- Additionally, this 'MORE' book includes a writing component that gives students practice in writing a short paragraph as well as a longer piece that requires them to think critically and explain their interpretation of the selection.
MORE Reading Comprehension Level 3 includes 25 selections in the following 6 subject areas. A sample passage title is given for each subject area:
- Social Studies - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Science - Which is the Biggest Planet?
- Philosophy, Logic, and Math - Rubber Sheet Geometry
- Combined Subjects - Communicating with Outer Space
- Literature and Language - Tyrannosaurus Rex
- The Arts - Picasso
- Story recall
- Identifying facts
- Drawing conclusions
- Vocabulary development
- Main idea
- Extending thoughts in writing
Please note that this item is available for purchase by Homeschools only.
Similar Items you may enjoy!